Follow The Bride

Follow our Brides as they write about their wedding planning from beginning to end! Please visit often for updates and visit our website, www.forblackweddings.com.

Mike and Olivia will marry November 2012

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Somebody give me a list right now or else…..By: Blogger Olivia


So my trusty on-line wedding planning guide Forblackweddings.com dictates that by now-roughly 10 months away-my fiancé and I should have an “A” list guest and a “B” list guest list…Yeah right….clearly you guys are not from the south, where word of mouth IS a formal invite and it is in absolute poor taste not to invite every single member of your great-grandmother’s church!

But, I think I can handle it because I am a PLANNER! I organize everything-down to the last detail. So imagine my surprise when I say to my fiancé, “Boo, do you have your list?” To which he replies, “Huh?? “Your list baby….of those people you and your family want to have invites sent to” I say…”Oh yeah, let me call my mom” he says…Satisfied that I am on track I pull out my laptop, log on to the website, and wait for the email when the names and addresses of the people who are near and dear to us. My honey hangs up the phone and says “she just sent it to you”. I open the email attachment mentally preparing to import the names and addresses effortlessly when I realize it’s a 13 page document. I scroll down to the last page, 223 people? Oh hell to the no!!! I say to my fiancé, “now you know this is not going to wash. We decided on a total of 250 people including wedding party and my family and friends are not even listed on here!!” My fiancé quickly turns his attention to me and we start to go through the list. Who are these people? All of your mom’s co-workers? Their neighbors’ church member? Is he in Iraq? NO NO NO!!!! I say. We agreed on 250 and 250 is what is going to be….Yes I know that there are people who have invited themselves….but we are sticking to 250…..or we are eloping!

So we head on over to his parents’ house to discuss this list. “Oh I’m glad you all are here…I forgot to put some people on the list”, his mom says. Now she means no harm and I know she is super excited, but you are WAYYYY over in your numbers! I’m almost afraid to ask my mom for her list because at this rate there will be 500 people easily…

And so the sage continues………

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment